The Philly Chronicles

This is a way for Dr. Parks to survive in Philly without acute withdrawal from KSU and WEBCT. Posts from the Old World (Atlanta) are welcome.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Elkins Park, PA, United States

I'm a psychologist and former professor. I married my college sweetheart at 41--better late than never...! I'm the mom of a very energetic and funny toddler.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Some Stuff I'm Doing

Ok, so here is what an ex-prof (who hasn't got too many patients yet) does with her free time in the Philly burbs:

  • Watches the US OPEN. Why does James Blake have to take out/get taken out by Andre? I want them both to win. This is the current frustration as I fail to go to bed at a reasonable hour.
  • Packs stuff for Katrina survivors. The local reform synagogue (Keneseth Israel) asked for donations and in one day had so much they are completely overwhelmed. They are begging people to come sort and pack the huge mountains of stuff people brought. I was there for 3 hours today and am going back tomorrow and Friday to do more. I'm also registered with the volunteer for Project Brotherly Love, a resettlement project for 1000 families the mayor has promised to bring to Philly.
  • Goes to the occasional Phillies game, but it is NOT the same. Turner Field turns out to be a bargain, and the baseball is better, too....
  • Reads novels (what a concept!): I just finished: Manner of Death, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Everything is Illuminated, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.
  • Watches the baby pandas at the National Zoo and the San Diego Zoo. These guys are so cool to watch grow up. I actually think it's pretty therapeutic!
  • Reads cool blogs: one from an actress who I babysat for a zillion years ago and, of course, the panda keeper blog.
  • Tries to learn enough about the Eagles to make small talk with the future step-son.
  • Takes the 10 year old girl who cat-sits for us to her first day of school for the year.
  • Plans a wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, it's only been a couple days since he proposed.... : )
What are people up to in the Old World?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got a photo of "the ring" to share?

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katrina relief: awesome. I've been working at City of Refuge (on Simpson St., close to the Dome). Mucho fun.

Harry Potter: also awesome...although JKR seems to be running out of ideas and following the LOTR plot line a bit too closely.

Congrats on the engagement! The ring is beautiful too :)

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey DR. P!!! Im so excited about you have this web site now!!! Congrats!!! Im so happy for you!!!! Keep in touch!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Beth Aronson said...

Linds, What's City of Refuge? What are you doing there?? Tell me more!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Beth Aronson said...

Hi Heather!!! More obsessing about wedding stuff happening here, so I will probably be posting more soon.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home