The Philly Chronicles

This is a way for Dr. Parks to survive in Philly without acute withdrawal from KSU and WEBCT. Posts from the Old World (Atlanta) are welcome.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Elkins Park, PA, United States

I'm a psychologist and former professor. I married my college sweetheart at 41--better late than never...! I'm the mom of a very energetic and funny toddler.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

GRE Questions

OK, more questions!
I am looking at the GRE test dates . . .
How much time should I allow for preparing for this (oh ye of the Kaplan experience!)?
If I am quick enough, I can get registered to take one in Oct for results mailed early December. Is that too quick?


Is that the subject test? I think you can take the General anytime, since it's one of those computer administerd things now. If you are disciplined, you could do it by October. The subject test should be pretty straightforwad. A good intro book would be a good way to review. For the General, you just want to identify the areas you need to review (people often haven't looked at geometry in years...) and get practice with the question types. Our classes used to typically run about 8 weeks, I think, but we also had cram versions that were shorter. Use prep materials either from ETS or from Kaplan or Princeton Review. Some of the other companies don't stay on top of the test form and content well, and you could be wasting energy in the wrong directions with them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth Aronson said...

Next question . . .
I want to submit an app to GSU - who reguires the General GRE. What if I took the Subject instead? Can I still submit those results? Or vice-versa - what if I take the Subject GRE and a school I want to submit an app to only wants the results from the General GRE?


NEXT ANSWER
Don't take subject instead of the General, if that is what they want. Taking it in addition is fine. Whether you send the ones people don't ask for will probably be a matter of cost and also whether the scores help or hurt you. Places
rarely if ever want only the subject test. Most want the General or both.


Dr. P./Beth

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home